We've made it! -- At least the in the physical sense.
![]() |
| This is what moving 3 months of stuff with 2 toddlers looks like |
| This is the size vehicle required to do so |
![]() | |
| Indi is now in Helaina's car seat and she is thrilled about seeing the world ![]()
|

| I don't speak Chinese but I could bet these nice Shanghinese folks helping us probably threw out a "Are you kidding me?" in their native tongue |
![]() |
| This is what H looks like in this weather - By the way this is at 9:30 AM. |
They also enjoy staring out the window. (wow I sound like a great parent). But seriously, I like to join them in this game too.
![]() |
| I can't wait for the heat to break so we can actually enjoy this park |
And the other activity they have now come to enjoy is having a dance party in their window. Watch the comments - these are our daughters.
![]() |
| Why yes that does look like the running man |
While the girls have successfully found ways to be entertained, Chris and I have done the same. And by entertain, I mean trying to get the basics down to function in a foreign country and keeping a bit of humor while doing so.
![]() |
| These are the instructions to our washer. Help please |
There appear to be some quirks with our apartment which I understand are not at all uncommon in China in general. We can not plug in the washer and the dryer at the same time as there is only one plug. We also can not run our oven at the same time as the microwave. Our landlord actually had the oven put in special for us as it's uncommon to have more than a toaster oven here. So I guess I'm grateful that I can have an oven at all. I hope I don't forget and blow a circuit.
Speaking of quirks, Chris and I had to open two separate bank accounts as their are no joint accounts. I hope I figure out how to transfer or mama needs to get a job. I now have a Chinese cell phone. It works like a prepaid phone and to get more money on it, I need to go to any convenience store to add money to my account. We also get text solicitations on our cell phones but I obviously have no idea what they say. Our home phone is fun to answer when telemarketers call. "No Chinese, only English" -- followed promptly by a few more words I don't understand and then a click and dial tone. Luckily we have only had a few of these.
I think some of the driving shock wore off the last time two times we were here. Chris and I did get a giggle when the driver of our car sped right past a cop with it's lights on - along with a bunch of other cars.
I had my first solo outing yesterday and thankfully all went well. I went all the way to IKEA by taxi, made some purchases and made it home safely. Some preparation and lots of prayer worked wonders.
We are certainly not in California, Hawaii, Florida or anywhere else I have ever lived before anymore Dorothy. However, we have so far enjoyed the ride and we are looking forward to our "new life"
Right now we need to get back after it and in the words of Helaina today "I think we need to learn some more Chinese words mommy" So wise for 3 and a half.











Oh the joy I am feeling just to see your words on my computer and to hear all the newness the first few days have given you. That kitchen is the coolest thing I have ever seen and I would dance party also if I had fun curtains like that. So much happy and adapting... further proof that this move was meant to be. I laughed out loud about the oven biz and I wonder why they don't do joint accounts?! Think of how easy it will be to surprise each other with gifts now! Your view is amazing.... might I venture to say way cooler than Hawaii's? Love to you and the new daily adventures... Thanks for keeping me a part of it all with the updates. Miss you and you're rockin the changes.
ReplyDelete