The girls gave us a run for our money this week. Stress manifests itself in different ways for everyone. For Indi, she decided that she would no longer like to go to sleep by herself (despite the fact that she has practically demanded sleeping in her own space since birth). The solution was a desire of mine for a long time, the girls are currently sharing a room. They are too cute giggling and keeping each other up for a bit longer than usual but no body is screaming! Hopefully, this will still work when Helaina needs to get up at 6am next week to start school. This is also a public service announcement that if this set up stays, we will have 2 rooms for guests. (hint hint)
For Helaina, I'm hoping the "won't go anywhere in the house by herself" thing wears off sooner than later. I want to make her comfortable but I would prefer not to spend an extra hour or so in the bathroom a day.
![]() |
| There was no way I was going all the way in to take a pic the 1st time they finally fell asleep. |
We hit one of the local tourist attractions today called The Bund Sight Seeing Tunnel. It's basically a tunnel that goes under the Huangpu River (the tertiary river that runs through the middle of and separates Shanghai) and has trippy lighting and weird music for a 5 minute ride. It is so bad that is was good if that makes sense. It was a definitely pricey for what it was. It cost us about $16 US dollars total for both Chris and I and the girls were free. I would not go again but I am glad that we did. We also got to show the girls The Bund for the first time. The Bund is on the Puxi (pronounced Poo - She) side near the Former French Concession and also runs along the Huangpu River. The buildings definitely have a European feel and this may be the only place in Shanghai where the buildings are not tall. You have a great view of the Pudong Side where all the massive, electric brightly lit (at night anyway) buildings are in the Lujiazui (pronounced Lew-jaz-way) area.
![]() |
| Puxi side looking across to Pudong |
![]() |
| This is the electric car for the tunnel |
![]() |
| Inside the tunnel |
![]() |
| Back on the Pudong side. Oriental Pearl Tower. |
In other adventures, we ate at one of the huge malls here in a food court like area. It was of course only appropriate for us to eat Japanese food :o) We had no idea what we were trying but there was a long line so we went for it.
It ended up being fried Octopus balls (this is a family show so please watch the comments). They had some sort of yummy topping that was thinly sliced and moved from the heat of the balls. They were really yummy and I would definitely eat them again. but not necessarily a meal so we went to an all encompassing type Asian restaurant where the girls dined on their new favorite -- dumplings. We had fried rice and a salad with Salmon. It was all quite good. It wasn't as risky as the Octopus balls but we had enough adventure for one day.
![]() |
| This is one happy and of course messy customer |
| This boys family was chatting up the girls and taking pics so I did the same. |
Her name is Jane and she speaks just enough English to fool me into thinking we are having coherent and productive conversation. She is great with the girls, a self starter and has been super protective when workers or delivery people were in the house. She even went to the grocery for us for items that I could not find online. Chris said about 6 months before we leave he is going to have to ween us off of Jane so we can return to reality. However, I have to tell you that though everyone deserves to have this type of service, I am REALLY glad that I have a few less things to worry about during our new life here in Shanghai.









Don't ween yourself off Jane ... just bring her back with you and we can share :)
ReplyDeleteGlad you are all hanging in there! And YES to the two bedrooms - keep it up 'cuz that is just that much more motivation!