Thursday, January 31, 2013

The December and January Blur

I really don't prefer calling the season in which we celebrate the Lord's birthday a blur.  However, try as we may to keep the reason for the season, having 2 January babies and adding in travel is going to complicate things.  And so, it's the end of January and I am just getting to our Orlando visit, the Disney cruise, Indigo's Baptism, Christmas, NYE, and both girls birthdays -- which lends itself to our most recent visitors as well and all the updates.  Here we go...........

Visiting family was everything I would hope it would be and more.  I LOVE watching the cousins play together and witnessing family getting to spend time with the little ones (and big ones) that being on relo robs them of.  London and Vegas were especially great with both girls and it makes me pine for a day when we might return to the same zip code.   I pray that we don't miss some window and that my amazing niece and nephew decide that they are too grown too to be bothered with the younger kids.





This is taken on the bench where Chris and I met
We weren't in Orlando long before we set sail on a Disney cruise with my brother and family as well as Chris' mom and dad.  I promise I am not a paid representative of the Disney cruise line and benefit in no way from you taking this trip.  That being said, we had THE BEST TIME on this cruise.  The food, the service, the cleanliness and the activities were awesome.  There was some thing for every age group (though I may recommend waiting till everyone in your party is walking to maximize)
The highlights for me were watching Helaina gleam at the princess meet and greet.  She was elated.   I loved that the family was together but everyone could break off to do their own thing for a bit. I also loved that the only decision I had to make for 3 days was what I should wanted eat.  (And eat I did!)  I highly recommend this cruise if you want a true vacation.  You can't beat the price for the overall value.


Helaina with her favorite princess, Tiana








Upon returning my Dad and Caroline as well as Uncle Jeremy came down to join us as we baptised Indigo.  What a  significant time as we celebrated a promise and commitment to bring up our daughter as a follower of Christ.  It was a precious memory to see her with Pastor David who not only baptised Helaina, but married Chris and I.  It's nice to have an anchor when you are being tossed around the world.  Indigo preferred to stay with mommy during the ceremony but didn't miss a chance to ham it up for the congregation.  We took advantage of having the family all together and dressed up so we took family pics which I will post the official ones once I get them.











Christmas Eve was celebrated in the usual Sicilian Italian Style for us with 7 seafoods.  If you know me, you know that this is the pinnacle of meals for me.   Hats off to my brother who again knocked it out of the park as the head chef.  Erin's sister, Jodie and I were su chef's while Chris and the other's manned the children, got the house ready and made sure everyone was taken care of.  It was a festive evening complete with a game of 'Celebrities'.  I especially love that we got to celebrate with family as I am not sure how the next few years will go.









You never know who will show at Christmas Eve at the Vertolli's house



We had a quiet Christmas morning with just the girls and us.  We really tried to downplay the present thing again, especially since we went on a cruise as a gift AND we knew family would come with full hands.  We almost overshot but I assure you the girls had full hearts and we needed another suitcase to bring home everything.  Trying to instill the importance of Jesus' birthday and minimizing consumerism is an uphill battle.






For NYE, my bestie Cathy (who was in-town with her family and Beth and Rob) arranged for us to go to a cooking place called Truffles and Trifles.  You are part of a larger group where each of you prepare a portion of a meal (recipe and ingredients included).  At the end of the evening, everyone sits down and eats the smorgasburg of food!  You take home the recipes at the end of the evening.  We had wine, champagne, and a wonderful time.   I can't think of a better way to ring in the New Year.



 Last year's New Years Day will probably never be 'out done' as we spent Jan 1 2012 delivering Indigo almost in the car.  Click here if you don't know the story Indigo Arrives.  Any who, this New Years day was all about a 1 year celebration for our little lady.  We had a quaint little dinner in her honor.  My brother thankfully assisted while I tackled my first prime rib.  (side note: Clearly this is why my children love food and someday only accept a suitor who is willing to keep up with their taste buds - watch out world).  It's not as fabulous sounding when I tell you that we zipped (food processed, or la machined for you seasoned folks) her prime rib and other food.  She loved it, but not as much as playing with the non-sugar banana bread type concoction that I made with a fresh fruit yogurt topping.  The key word is played with.  She really had no interest in eating it.  That's ok because Big Sister, Helaina gobbled up her own serving so my feeling weren't hurt.






Frank had to leave the room by this point.  The mess got much worse than this


After arriving back in CA, we reset and tried to make sense of our routine as quick as possible.  For Helaina's actual birthday weekend we went on an organized Faery Hunt which left much to be desired by Chris and I.  She also seemed uninterested but said she would do it again.  We explained it was probably a one time deal and she said no she was pretty sure it was a two time deal.  (The art of negotiations of a 3 year old).  For her Birthday night, when given the choice of where to eat, she chose Sushi.  Again, world beware.  We had a nice "quiet" time in anticipation for the following weekend.






During that week, we were very lucky to welcome our 1st group of visitors which was the O'huchi Family from Hawaii.  Kai and Cora were in our natural birthing class and their daughter Kalina was born a few weeks ahead of Helaina.  They also have a son Keison who is 8 months.  The very next day we welcomed the Gerich's family from Idaho.  Megan and Robbie were also in our birthing class and their oldest, Sydney shares Indigo's birth date but is Helaina and Kalina's age.  They too have another pea in the pod, Simone.  You may have read about them if you follow the blog at Boise Idaho.
We are so blessed to have these people in our lives as friends.  We are vastly different in so many ways yet so alike in many others.  It's nice to have the balance and it was great to spend time with all of them at once as we haven't all been reunited since the Gerich's left Hawaii to move back to Idaho.

If you are quick with math (or if you want to peak back) then you will note we had 12 total people staying in our 3 bedroom, 1,000 sqft place.  I don't think we could have pulled this off with just anyone.  One family per bedroom.  We were an organized unofficial commune (minus any freaky stuff) for 4 days.  Everyone pitched in and we tried to stay outdoors as much as possible.  We went to Disney and had a picture post card day.  The weather was perfect and the lines short.  We went for a hike to see the Hollywood sign.  WE ATE (shock).  The girls got along swimmingly (for 3 years old) and the adults enjoyed each other.  We also got to celebrate Helaina's birthday officially.  It was so nice to be able to do so with friends that she has had since birth.  I do hope that they stay friends for a lifetime as I plan to with their parents.

For Helaina's 3rd birthday we celebrated by merging her love of "balance beam" -- you know - - walking on every available raised surface, and of course Hello Kitty.  We had a gymnastics party at Fun and Fit.  All the little people had special hello kitty leotards or onesies.  (I could make a dissertation on what a PAIN in the keester that onesies ended up being but I will save you the drama -- I'm almost over it.    The girls got to do balance beam, jump on all kinds of trampoline's or the big hit, jumping into the foam pit.  The long awaited 1st cupcake did not disappoint.  I ordered (that's right people - I had 12 people in my house and my husband convinced me it was prudent to do so -- thank you Chris) from a place that uses 1/2 the sugar, applesauce vs oil, almond milk vs cream etc... We ordered the mini sized for the kids.  I then let her have 2 cause she's waited so long to taste a cupcake :o)  She really like it and even the one she had the next day but has not asked for it since and for that I am grateful.
A good time was had by all.










 


And on other news (stay with me it's been over a month) - We have ordered the girls passports and our visas.  We have also booked our look-and-see trip to Shanghai for Chris and I for the first week of March.  Mimi (Chris' mom) and Dad have graciously decided to come out and take the girls for the week. I know they are in the most capable of hands but I"M STILL FREAKED OUT.  One because the longest I have ever been away from the girls is 12 hours.  Two, the China thing is actually happening.  More on that to come in later blogs.

And finally in an update on the girls, Helaina seems to have magically passed over the terrible two's and into the realm of 3 years old things.  She is doing great with her potty training.  We have had 1 accident only this month!  Now onto that wiping yourself thing - though I'm sure the mommy touch up job will be around for a while.  She is taking a ballet and tap class that she really likes.  She is quite funny with some of the things she says.  The concept of lock it or unlock it has been merged to the word sequence "un-re-lock it."  Yesterday she said "Can swing by the car on the way out while we are taking the bebs out?"  She also says "Actually" quite a bit.  She also likes to throw out "Can you take care of that Biz?" which she adapted from Mommy and Antie Megs.   Her bed time regime has been a lot less gruesome and she has been more independent.  She asks a lot of questions but so far it doesn't bother me because it's not just "WHY?".  She actually articulates what she is trying to wrap her brain around.  She still loves to read and she and Indigo make a game of making each other laugh quite a bit.  It is so sweet to see them interact.

Indigo is officially up and at-em on the walking thing.  She gets about 12 steps or so on her own.  She can walk a long way holding someones hand.   She likes to scale any and everything much to mommy's chagrin.  She loves to dance when music is on.  She all the sudden started refusing pureed food an only eats chunks (unless it's a squeeze pouch).  She likes to throw out the double hand wave quite a bit.  She is doing great with pointing to body parts and loves "head, shoulders, knee's and toes"  She ssays momma, dadda, ssssissss for Helaina, and ba-ba for Bebe dog.  

They keep me so ridiculously busy and it's harder than heck right now especially with Indigo on the move and climbing everything like Godzilla.  However, my heart is full and I would be a fool to complain.

2 comments:

  1. Oh how I love a good blog post from you, dearest. They are simply the best.

    I love this line: my heart is full and I would be a fool to complain.

    Your kids are amazing, I felt so blessed to spend 4 whole days with them and their parents.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well now if that wasn't a fun and entertaining read, I don't know what is! How fun to catch up with your life's adventures with many more to come. To be completely honest with you, you'll probably find that you LOVE your week away from the kids ... only to enjoy them even more on your return ... if that is even possible that is.

    ReplyDelete