There are a bunch of places in the world that I never expected to visit but I must say that I am thrilled that Chris, the girls and I got to go to Idaho a few weeks ago. Why on earth Boise????? Our dear friends Megan and Robbie and their beautiful little girls Sydney and Simone are from there. We met them in Hawaii during a quintessential time of our lives in our natural child birth class. Both of us were in our 2nd trimester and due within weeks of each other with our 1st children. One of my other great friends Nikki said that I would probably meet some of my most closest friends during this time period and she was right. We all hit if off quickly and dished about things like poop (baby and pregnancy lack of), fears of birth /parenting, babies sleeping and whole bunch of other things that you can't speak with just anyone about. I promised I would visit her in Boise when they moved back and being in Cali made that a whole lot easier. I wish we had a longer time to visit but we sure did pack it in while we were there. Even if we stayed longer, it would not have been long enough.

1st off, Boise itself was beautiful. I would like to think that the fall leaves held on for our benefit as they just received their first bit of snow today. It was very clean and the people seemed nice. Their downtown was a bit hipper than I had expected and we ate some great food.
| The girls hugged and kissed a bunch. So sweet. |
| I think Indi is doing Zoolander here and of course Helaina is eating |
But even if Boise was a dump, I am fairly certain that we would have had an excellent time. The girls played together as if no time had passed since they had seen each other --- and so did our children ;o) We got to meet each other's littlest ones and I think either of us would have kept the other's if allowed. Megan and Rob were the most thoughtful hosts. Every detail was covered. We didn't need lug as much stuff as Megan went out of her way to borrow and make sure our load was light. She prepared meals that can put most restaurants to shame. She even sent us home with snacks for the ride and clothes that didn't fit her kids anymore.
![]() |
| Taking each others baby for a spin |
It's hard to pick a best part of our trip but Helaina and Sydney playing together was up there for sure. It was so sweet since they had spent so much time together when they were itty bitty.
We went to a huge Fall Festival with a corn box (like sand but with corn), horse rides, mini cow tractors, and best of all a HUGE air pillow buried in the ground (think bouncy house with no walls). We got our fun on for sure. We took the girls to a play place and fun was had by all. Meg and Rob live in a great neighborhood with a beautiful nature trail that we walked in despite the cold. We spent time in their house which is open, warm and inviting like a home should be. I can imagine their girls will have fond memories of their childhood home especially the cool "cave" that their daddy built under the stairs and their mommy decorated like dream room for little girls (complete with a play wall phone).

| We were honored to be with the Gerichs for their 1st Chick - Fil-A experience. No shocker but they really liked it. |
While there, we got to take pictures with Megan's mom Mary, who I have longed pined after the photographs she takes. The pictures came out perfect and she was joy to 'work with'. I know where Megs get's her creativity from. You can visit the link to see more of our pics at:
www.fairlycandid.com/the-higgs-family/
I excluded the one that we will be using for our Christmas photo :o)
The oldest kids (that would be us) took advantage of not having to leave at bed time and we stayed up playing games, having 'some' libations, and talking/laughing. Robbie was a trooper as he threw out his back and still hung with us though often from the position of laying flat on the floor.
You may never have the chance to go to Boise but if you do, GO. You may never get to meet the Gerichs (or you might) but I do wish that you have a couple or family in your life that is as loving, honest, and inspiring as they are. It's good for your soul.
Fortunately for us, The Gerichs and the Ohuchis (The other part of our friends from our birthing class) are coming to Cali in January and we can all be reunited again. 5 girls and one boy! How lucky are we to know such great people?
By the by, Megan is the one who inspired me to start writing a blog. You can check her rendition of the visit at Gerichs.Blogspot.com Now that I have finished writing mine, I'm going to check it out.













Oh my! We did totally post similar things!!! I loved every word of your post, and you were entirely too sweet- swarming us with all types of compliments. I'm just so damn happy I know you.
ReplyDeleteP.S. I Fil-A'd again tonight. Yummmmmmm. Better the first time, tho. ;)
ReplyDeleteOh my, I got teary eyed just reading this! You have no idea how it touches my blessed heart to know you guys have such a bond. Mike and I are over-blessed to have long-term wonderful friends to fill our social and emotional world beyond measure, and I just think everyone should have that too. God is good and faithful to provide the friends we need in our lives at just the right time that we need them. I got a nice comment on my blog from Susan so thank you for adding the link. And ... I have a guess which one you are going to use on your Christmas card ... I'll just have to wait to see if I'm right. :-)
ReplyDeleteWow if you are that good about traveling with children, we have space for you here in Chicago. Think about it for your next vacation. We are kid friendly!
ReplyDelete