| Daddy is resting after putting up the girls tent (with a mattress underneath) |
We have explored some of the closer attractions that Shanghai has to offer. At the very western Mall/Hotel right next door to us, The Kerry Center, they usually offer seasonal or holiday specific entertainment for Eastern and Western Cultures. We attended some of the Dragon Dance that they offered for Chinese New Year. Normally the girls would be quite freaked out but I think they were ok since we watched them setting up and specifically the people that make up the dragons getting into costume. The acrobatics these people did were amazing. If it weren't for it's timing being just passed nap time, we would have stayed for the whole thing.
The weather has been cold and rainy (a huge switch from the 70's the other day) so we opted to go to the Shanghai Science and Technology Museum. Apparently, we were not the only people with the same idea. We didn't stay very long and I can't say I would recommend going as the exhibits were not that impressive. However, my view may be jaded as I was quite annoyed most of the time being pushed into and bumped all over the place. My momma bear came out a few times when people shoved into the girls. One of my biggest challenges since being here is changing my mindset to the local standard of personal space. You really don't have any which is probably because it's a luxury that being in a city of 27 million doesn't afford. In addition to No personal space, locals have a very aggressive attitude with getting to or on somewhere. Lines are not really formed as it's every man on his own. This is the cultural norm and in their mind, they are not being rude. Conceptually I understand this, but I have a hard time translating this to my Jersey Italian mommy brain when someone practically tramples my kids. I will hopefully grasp this sooner or later or it's going to be a long 2 more years.
WARNING:
Some graphic content that may make you loose your lunch! No seriously.
For our last adventure today (Chris returns to work tomorrow - Booooooo), we joined up with some friends and shlept everyone onto the metro for a 45m commute to Shanghai Circus World. I've been in China long enough to expect that even everyday things can slightly to greatly different that in US so I thought I was mentally prepared.
| Although we were going to watch the circus, we were the entertainment on the way there with 4 white babies. |
The show was advertised as a circus and acrobatic show. I would say it delivered on all the accounts. We bought the "cheap seats " as we read that the arena was small. Honestly, DON'T TELL SHANGHAI CIRCUS WORLD, but the cheap seats were actually pretty great and almost 1/2 of the other seats costs. (shhhh)
I found myself as equally entertained yet sad as I remember from seeing the circus when I grew up. You feel bad for the animals though somewhat justified when you think that they do not have the everyday dangers they would if they were in their natural habitat. I was a bit uneasy by the netting that they put up when they brought the lion and 2 white Bengal tigers out. I've seen enough animal planet to know that if those animals decided to get out, we would have been lunch. Maybe that's why the cheap seats were so cheap ;o)
Anyway, they had some incredible acrobatics that were very entertaining and the girls enjoyed watching. I not so humbly told Helaina how mommy had done both trapeze and the silks that they were doing. I think my mommy stock went up some. The clowns seemed a bit less scary here but maybe that's because I'm older. Overall we did enjoy ourselves and it was worth the trip.
GRAPHIC PART:
There was a part that threw me off the most that I was NOT prepared for. Actually, I am not sure any amount of preparation would have done the trick and it was actually BEFORE we even entered the arena. After we walked down a street trying to find the circus we finally found the entrance. (Shanghai seems to be notorious for crazy back entrances that are not pedestrian friendly) I was so focused on getting inside because of course we were already late, that I almost did not notice the trashcan 30 feet from the door. All the adults did a double take and I of course reached for my camera.
| And this was one of two over stuffed trashcans. Ugh. |
WHAT IN THE CHINA??? We were relieved that there where no cows in the show and sort of relieved that there was a restaurant on property close to the entrance so I'm hoping that this had nothing to do with circus. NOT that would make this graphic image any prettier but I am glad that this was not related to the show we saw. (OK vegetarian friends - no commentary necessary)
All in all, we have had a wonderful stay-cation with Chris home but all that ends tomorrow as he returns back to work. I am grateful that Jane, our helper, returns to work tomorrow too. I wonder how long it will take Indigo to forget again and say "Mommy cooked this?" Yes sweet child, Mommy actually cooked and cleaned all the time just 6 short months ago. Oh well. At least the girls still enjoyed what I cooked while Jane was away.







Yay for campouts!!! How fun!
ReplyDeleteThe dragon dancing- now that I would love to see. We saw it once in Chinatown in Hawaii and I loved it- I bet it's even cooler there.
WTF, China? Bones in the garbage? I might have puked.
Glad you're getting out- love that you went to a circus!