Saturday, August 4, 2012

First This and That

This is the first time that I have had multiple blog entries so close in a very long time.  No, I do not have more time than I once had, I actually have a lot less.  (small note that I have no idea how my dear friend Nikki has 4 boys, including twin infants, and does several blog entries per week!!!!!) These girls are keeping their momma busier than ever.  However, we had a few too many "firsts" this past month and I didn't want to forget them.  I was not keeping a blog when Helaina was itty bitty so I have forgotten some key events.  I don't want that to happen again with Indi or for the firsts that H continues to have.


Helaina has moved into a big girl bed.  And when I say big, I mean B-I-G.  It's only a twin but it's tall!  OK.  It's probably normal size but when you move your toddler into the big bed for the first time, it might as well be a bed sized for Yao Ming.  The transition has been a bit rough for her -- or at least that is what we are chalking 45 minutes of crying / screaming / I need some water / I have to go potty / there was a noise / Can daddy check on the cat :  put downs every night -- could be all the change as well.  We tried to put Indi and H in the same room but we nixed that after 5 nights of relay crying sessions. Incidentally, Indigo is doing great for night sleeping.  To entice Helaina's transition we got her an Owl bed set from Target.  She loves them but Hooooo wouldn't?  I do hope it passes sooner than later or you might find mommy and daddy in the crazy house. (that is an official crazy house - not the one we are in already).






























She looks so cute in the bed - especially
when she stays in it.



















Helaina also got her first shopping buzz.  I usually shop for her but shoes are the one thing she has to try.  I prepped her on the way there.  "There may be shoes you like or think are pretty but Mommy needs to pick the right shoe for you based on price and need etc......."  Chris and I try very hard not to spoil her.  I believe we tow a fairly tight line with her, especially for a two and half year old.  You would not know any of this information if you witnessed her in the store.  She acted as though she was trying out for toddlers and tiaras!  "I don't like that one, I like this one, I don't want to try that one on......etc....." all in a nails on chalk board type voice.  She finally compromised when I explained that she wouldn't be getting any shoes and our shopping adventure was coming to a quick close.  The only pair of shoes that we own that fit her is a pair of hot pink crocs.   (though she would be fine wearing these every day)  We needed to get a pair or two of something she could "dress up" and one for proper playing.  Our third store ended us at Nordstrom Rack in a desperate last ditch effort.  We scored with 2 pair of shoes for a total of $35!!!!!!  She signed off on the sneakers when I used the boots as bait.    Mommy left with a deal buzz and Helaina left as one happy customer!






 She ended up liking the sneaks so much
she is wearing them at breakfast with her nightgown.  - doing "the drinking
part" of cereal which is her favorite part.


And speaking of food, we let Helaina have her first french fries.  As I am writing this I can envision people in two different camps gasping "Huuuuuuuuuuuhhhhhh" for two different reasons.  My more conservative eating readers may be shocked that we "gave in" when they unknowingly came out as part of her dinner and Chris and I reluctantly agreed to let her have 10 to 15.  The rest of you may be confused on why she hadn't had this yet (or ice cream, candy, cupcakes, cake etc...).


As suspected, our carb loving girl thought they were the best thing on her plate.  The truth is, we know this won't kill her but we are trying to instill some great eating habits from the get go.  Once you open the gates, it seems like there is a million opportunities to binge eat on fat and sugary delights.  With every passing month as she becomes more aware, we have had to make decisions on either bettering our diet to match one that we found acceptable to hers OR letting her indulge.  So far, we have chosen to better our own eating.  Before I make myself to seem "angelic,"  I must confess that there are times where we eat "terrible things" after she goes to bed however, those are few and far between and have minimized over time when it began to feel like sneaking.  For now, we all have healthier diets and plan on letting Helaina indulge in more sweets starting at 3 (on her birthday).  For now, she will have to hold onto her fry experience and hopefully keep loving some of the veggie dishes mommas been trying to serve up.


The biggest first of this month for Helaina's first hair cut.  I'm not talking about her first professional trim or a first big chop off of hair.  I'm speaking of her the first time a scissor has ever touched the girl's hair.  Bless her sweet self, she did not have a genetics chance in Hades to have lustrous locks.  So at age 2 years and 7 months, she got her first cut.  It wasn't too long it just needed a little shape.  It actually turned out pretty good especially for an amateur (me) and a toddler client.  I channeled my mom's inner hair stylist,  some of what I learned watching while working in hair salons and my Jersey background.  All in all, it looks a hundred times better and will hopefully grow a bit faster with most of the dead ends off.


Before  - Very "Wispy" looking - AKA Uncle Frank (thanks E)


During:  She does look a little frightened


This reminds me of a picture we have of my brother getting his
first cut from my mom at age 3.


After - There is not much this cutie pie couldn't pull off
 - says her mother.




Indigo may have some trump cards to throw on this month of firsts.   She is officially spinning and rolling faster than the moving truck that picked up Kristen Stewart's things.  (love you my Twilight Fans).  She is also sitting for a minute or two at a time.  There is this weird thing, at least for me, that suspends belief of your child's milestones.  I can't bring myself to say, "She is officially sitting" until much later when everyone else will say, "She has been sitting for months"  I try to qualify it but I think it's just me trying to slow things down.










Indigo is also pulling up her legs into the crawl position and has begun pulling herself to the furniture.  Wo Nelly my world is about to change.  She also is doing baby push ups and putting herself in plank position.




Not a great picture but definitely shows the future Yogi


Making sure her sister is not going to "hug" her over






My job is not easy right now but at least Indi generally stays where I put her.  Hmmm.  Where will she end up when I run off to help Helaina on the potty or sneak off to change the laundry?  Thankfully we are moving to a one floor unit!


Random Photo Love:







Bunny eating baby eating dolly



Loving on the daddy guy on his birthday!


Crawfish festival in Long Beach.  Yes Indi is back there.  


Fear the crawfish




 


Pure delight



2 comments:

  1. LOVE all the documentation and the random photo love. Sincerely admire that you've been able to keep sweets away this long- it's true...once you start it's a FLOOD GATE.

    My favorite part about the whole blog: "I can't bring myself to say, "She is officially sitting" until much later when everyone else will say, "She has been sitting for months" I try to qualify it but I think it's just me trying to slow things down." It's so true- you totally do that!!!

    Go get tickets so I can witness all these sweet things!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cute. I always love catching up on your lives. One of those last pictures of Indy was a little clone of the Helaina I remember from my days in Hawaii. Megan's comment about the flood gate ... so true. Sydney should have been born a puppy -- she responds to "treats". I try to do my part as a good gramma to help deter the sugar, but then again, Grampa lives here too. Nuf said.

    ReplyDelete