Packing Up
Our place in Honolulu was furnished by Disney and we had stuff of our own as there as well. Our new place has "everything we need" basically, The Disney stuff that we were not purchasing from Honolulu was to be given to an philanthropic organization. We had stuff going back to Florida for our return one day and we had things going to CA. We also had to pack for 4 weeks of suitcase living until our things arrive. What a cluster. We had to separate things into these piles as best as possible. (seems simple enough - NOT - look around your house and imagine organizing EVERYTHING into 3 piles and having 2 sets of movers. I will be amazed if everything makes it to it's intended destination.
Helaina and Indigo did the best job possible for a 2 1/2 year old and a 6 month old under the conditions. Every 30 seconds Helaina would grab a toy or something out of a box or a pile. It was slightly maddening but not surprising for her age. She slept on a blanket with a pillow and no pillow case the last two days for nap at our apartment while Chris and I cleaned and organized. She ate picnic style in our hotel room and loved getting to eat out and try new foods from delivery. Wonder where she gets that from? (Thank you Vertolli's for the awesome delivery gift certificate that we used every cent of -- and mommy enjoyed the holiday from the kitchen though surprisingly, I'm glad to be back.)
We said Aloha to great friends, a beautiful state (for many reasons) and the place where we had our babies.
Moving On
It's imperative for those of you who want to see me visit, this must be the last time I shall speak or write about the airplane experience. This is a family blog so I will hold the expletives that come to mind when I recall the pain and agony of this flight. We could have left early am or red eye but I believe this could have actually hurt worse - especially since Heliana did not sleep on our last redeye AT ALL. A 2 pm flight seemed the most manageable. We got up at 6 packed up and ate breakfast. However, at breakfast, Chris' "slippah" -( if you live in Hawaii - Flip flop if you any where else except Jersey where we called them thongs.. I digress) whatever you call it, it broke. (see exhibit A and B).
![]() |
| Yes he did monkey toe the broken string to "walk" back to our room |
Therefore, Chris dropped Indi and I at Walmart for a last minute purchase while he and H headed to our 9 am walk through for our apartment. That went relatively well with the exception that they informed us we need to return our cable box to the cable place. After the cable box return downtown, we headed to the Post Office to mail 3 boxes of "immediate need" things that we felt we would have before 4 weeks but there was no way in heck we could carry anything else on the plane.
We still managed to arrive with time to spare. Chris drops me at the curb with the all the carry on and checked luggage.
Carry on = One dog in a dog carrier, one dog bag of food etc..., one back pack for children's entertainment, 2 computer bags, a cooler for Indi's food, one baby bag, one stroller, & one Minnie Mouse doll.
Checked luggage: 4 heavy suitcases, 1 pack and play, & 2 car seats. Oy Ve.

A wonderful and well tipped sky cap took all our belongings while the girls and I (including bebe) checked in. Prior to security, I entertained the girls while Chris took bebe to go potty before embarking on her adventure but not before I slipped her a doggie Valium. (Yes, I did think about taking one for myself and in hindsight wish I would have considered it harder). While Chris was coming through security last with bebe, the TSA agent asked me if I was traveling alone. I just looked at her and gave a hysterical sort of laugh.
We eat, board and feel like we have the hard part behind us. ERRRRRRRRRRRRRNNNNT. Silly Laura for thinking that this 5 hour flight would be cake because it's half the time I am used to flying. Fortunately we had 4 seats across and didn't have to share an actual row with anyone -- though they may have qualified for a sympathy move to another section. Bless my sweet children's hearts but Heliana did not sleep one wink the entire day and Indi took 3, 20 minute naps. Amidst the meltdowns and constant breastfeeding bebe decided that she was unhappy with her lot and started barking. (Any of you who know bebe may recall that she doesn't bark). Clearly she was ticked so I gladly fed her the next installment of Valium though I again considered the dosage for myself or my children.
Our seating was nestled among a very large Chinese tourist group. I must say that a few of the people in this group were so incredibly rude that it made me fearful of just what exactly we are getting ourselves into on our next move-- now that I have had time to calm down, I reminded myself that there will be cultural changes and challenges but this group was in no way indicative of what my experiences will be (hopefully). At one point my easy breezy husband that I've never seen loose his cool, HIT the back of my seat and told the guy who was trying to look over the seat while I was breast feeding it was "Not ok and to back off". I also verbally assaulted a women who was staring and laughing at me during a double child meltdown. Though we arrived at 10:30 PM the luggage and rental car fetching delivered us to our new home at the ripe local time of 1:30 AM. (10:30 PM at our origin location in case you didn't want to do the math). Helaina had still not slept at this point but promptly crashed the millisecond her head hit the pillow as did the rest of us.
Settling In
Our first weekend was good. It's strange how living in a place for just 3 years can wear off on you. Hawaiian life had rubbed off on us more than we had realized. The car horn beeping, traffic (way worse than the bad honolulu traffic) smog, and "fancy people (see later description)" will all take some getting used to. I am not sure if I will ever get used to the warning signs that are posted every where in almost every building. The reality is I am sure these dangers are most everywhere but I prefer to live in ignorance.
| This gem is posted in the elevator in our building |
| 30 mile drive 1 hour 10min. Hmmm where does the smog come from? |
There are a few things that we are loving in our transition so far. For one THE FOOD OPTIONS!!!!!!! I love that restaurants are so good and there are so many to choose from. Hawaii had a few but not many. I guess we just got used to it I guess. Man it's good to be back to eating. I'm going to have to step up my exercise regime if I'm going to keep up with my taste buds.
The cost of food at the grocery is a close runner up. I found my self uncontrollably smiling and wanting to tell complete strangers just how great the prices are. On our first trip to the grocery where you have to buy everything (olive oil, mustard, tin foil etc...) It was the same price as my weekly grocery visit in Honolulu!! I feel rich ;o)
![]() |
| If allowed, I think Helaina could take this pile herself |
One of the best things though is the amount and quality of the kid parks. As Chris put it, "No wonder why this state is bankrupt". The first 3 parks we have visited have been some of the best parks I have ever been to. One yesterday had a 3 story slide and one today had 4 separate sections including a splash pad. Maybe this is normal for you people but I was happy if I found one in Honolulu with no rust and if it had swings it was a bonus.
The Zoo here is awesome. Well our first trip was not that NOT as it was uber-hot, crowded with "fancy people *see later note" and Helaina poked herself in the eye (This would be the second time she has done this) with her own finger. We ended up in urgent care but it all was fine in the end. That being said, we need a "Zoo-over" but we are looking forward to it.
Now about these "Fancy People" that I have referred to. For the most part, I have always been on the low maintenance side when it comes do hair, make-up etc... I have further embraced this since becoming a mommy. I don't prefer to spend the limited time that I have looking in the mirror at myself. If that is your thing, that's cool. However, even if it is I might suspect you may also be baffled to find 2 or 3 different mommies applying make up in the zoo parking lot (eye lash curlers, powder and everything). I sure hope the animals appreciated the extra time these ladies put into getting ready. People just dress a bit different here -- my simple self can only refer to it as fancy. I hope it doesn't wear off ;o)
Our first official weekend here, we headed off to hike up the "Heart of Hollywood" hike. It was somewhat challenging and we enjoyed some fantastic people watching. There were some views of some ridiculously large homes, the Hollywood sign, lots of dogs (no leash required), & downtown all covered with a not so faint gray cloud of smog. We had our first "celebrity sighting" which was Ryan from the office (sorry, no picture). I would say you can't really call it celebrity if you don't know the actors name (and only their role) but I'm not that great with actors names do don't take my word for it.
More celebrity like for Helaina was a fire truck that drove up the paved "hike". She told the fireman that trucks were yellow in Honolulu. She even got to sit in the truck. I think she felt like the celebrity.
![]() |
| We are not in Honolulu anymore Dorothy |
![]() |
| look real close and you will see "Hollywood" |
We are currently living in Glendale but are moving to Burbank next month to a one floor unit. Once we get settled in, I will send out change of address notes. In the mean time, I will hopefully be able to update you with our nonsense and maybe even book some trips to see you people. As always, our door is open and we would love to have visitors.
![]() |
| Shout out to Vanessa, Our first east coaster that took time out of her business trip to hang with the girls and I. |












Ha ha ha. I should warn you, there is no such thing as privacy in China!
ReplyDeleteDidn't realize you are so close to LA. Nine months there then Shanghai right? Next Sept we'll probably visit Adam's sister in LA but I'm guessing you'll be gone by then...
Any other warnings ? ;o) I need a Shanghai rundown from you.
DeleteWe are very close to LA. It's unlikely that we will be here in Sept but you never know. I really would like to make it to Chicago before we head off but we are trying to manage time/money and it's a bit off from all that is on my wish list. We will see :o)
Ahhhh! This post was exactly what I needed! Thank you! I loved hearing about the move, and have to admit I was giggling through the airplane ride story (sorry, friend). The details were lovely, felt like I was sitting with you and hearing your voice- your writing is perfect like that.
ReplyDeleteYou sound happy, positive and energetic. Can't wait to see you!
Laura, what a great post this was. The nursing story? Hilarious (although probably not for you guys at the time). I loved hearing the new things about LA that I've never heard before -- and those signs posted -- who knew?! It's interesting to hear your comparisons of Hawaii and LA which made me feel like I was visiting myself. I'm so excited for you and Megan getting to see one another (she squeals with excitement every time she talks about it), and it was fun seeing Indigo so grown up. What a beautiful girl. Loved everything about this post. You have such a wonderful writing style. Megan's not big on eating out like Mike and I are so we can take you out when you come visit. :-) Mary
ReplyDelete