I"ll start off by saying that I'm well aware that it is 2/8 and I am just getting to my Christmas blog. Later blogs that I will hopefully post over the next week or so will clearly explain/remind me why I'm behind but I didn't want to miss documenting the first Christmas where Helaina was somewhat aware.
Family Tradition:
One tradition that my family has passed down for many generations is 7 seafoods on Christmas Eve. After my mom passed, my brother picked up the torch for this tradition and every year out does himself to a level that would easily impress any of my ancestors (if not make them envious). I've never attempted to pull off all 7 on my own. Being nine and a half months pregnant with 2 friends coming over, this was not the year to try. Though the food isn't the same without being with my immediate family, I still had to attempt to represent my heritage. I decided on clams casino and crab pasta for the seafoods as well as our family recipe for "stuffed" mushrooms. Jim and Rochelle (our 'Hawaiian' family) brought a delicious salad, bread and some yummy green beans for a complete meal. No one went hungry and it was a relatively simple meal to pull off (especially since Chris had the hard job of shucking the clams and Jim & Rochelle brought half the food).
You can't go wrong with Butter, Parsley, Garlic Bacon & Cheese on top of a clam |
Last minute coaching from Big brother helped me to serve this winner up |
Rochelle added homemade candied walnuts (yum) |
Mushrooms that I don't make regularly since Chris doesn't prefer mushrooms |
Wow mommy is BIG is what Helaina is thinking |
"New Traditions" (or Old if you really think about it)
Chris and I have decided to take the road less traveled and actually focus more on the Christian part of Christmas and much less of the "Santa" / presents things. We made a Advent chain and we read a corresponding scripture each night for the entire month. We purchased a beautiful hand made nativity scene. We talked in detail and often about how God gave us the best present of all with baby Jesus. We purchased 2 main gifts for her and some stocking stuffers knowing she would receive plenty from everyone. Hopefully our efforts will yield the results were looking for (focus on Jesus instead of things) but based on our 1st go round, I think were going too have an uphill battle.
![]() |
| a portion of our advent chain |
| This was actually made in Bethlehem |
Attempting to not overload on gift opening we opened some presents on Christmas Eve and the rest spread out throughout the day on Christmas after church. We even got to open The Higgs' family presents "with" them via Facetime. Being far away is hard but a lot harder on holidays and big events. I love that technology has taken a bit of that sting out. The Higgs family even got to see Helaina find out she got a bike for Christmas. Chris and I got to enjoy seeing the look on Helaina's face when she came out to see the table and chairs that we got her. Despite our not promoting the big guy in the red suit, she seemed to have a fabulous Christmas and hopefully she won't be scarred from our "science experiement." Then again in my opinion, raising children is all a science experiment that you really don't know the results of until much later.
Merry Christmas to all!







Been waiting for a new post! I'm glad to see you are back blogging. And that you are still doing your mother's AMAZING Christmas dinners. I remember some of those. Do you still stick the octopus suctions on your teeth or have you matured too much for that?
ReplyDeleteRobby chatted up your Clams Casino this year as we were remembering our wonderful Christmas Eve spent with you folks last year. I'm not sure we'll ever have clams again until we meet someday...you seem to have the recipe down. :)
ReplyDeleteLove the table and chairs and the nativity scene...
And I LOVE that you're blogging again!!!